Monday, February 4, 2013

Moment of Magic

    It was the 18th of May, 1896. The weather was hot and the humidity didn’t help. I considered closing shop and going home. Who would want to browse a magic shop on an evening such as this? Or at least, that’s what I told myself. I wouldn’t let myself believe that the shop just wasn’t interesting anymore.
    Everyone in town is more interested in that new X-ray machine they are exhibiting a few blocks away. How could a few parlor tricks and illusions compete with the advancement of science? I decided to close the shop for the day. I locked the register and the back room and headed for the door. It was at that very moment, as though it were fate, the door gently swung open, ringing the small bell mounted atop the door’s frame. In walked a young brown haired girl. Her face glowed with excitement as she looked around my shop. Her eyes locked onto me.

“How may I help you young lady?” I inquired.

“I want to buy a book from you,” she answered immediately.

“A book? Did you try the library? This is only a magic shop, my dear.”

She broke eye contact with me and glanced around the room. “I was told you had a book exploring magic folk.”

I recognized the book she mentioned. She was looking for the Homines de Magicis, a book that I never advertise or place on the shelves. “What business do you have with a book of magic and science, little lady?”

She contemplated an answer for a moment and then spoke. “I- I just need it. I need to know…” She trailed off.

I became impatient and asked, “Well, I’m closing up. You’ll have to try again another day.”

“I can control electricity.” She spurted out as though the words couldn’t be contained any longer.

“Hmph,” I scoffed and put on my hat. “Good day young lady. The shop is closed for the evening.”

I walked passed her and swung open the door. I turned to see her standing there. She waited for a moment, trying my patience, before reaching hand up to a small electric toy that lights up when turned on.

“What are you doing? You can’t have that! The store is closed. Didn’t you hear me?”

Just then, the bulbs on the toy exploded with a popping sound followed by a squealing hiss of the filament being released. I looked in astonishment. “By God…”

“I need to know if there are others like me.” She said as she slowly raised her hand to eye level. There were arcs of electricity jumping between her fingers. My eyes widened even further than they already were. “Let me grab the camera.”



No comments:

Post a Comment