Monday, April 22, 2013

Screenplay - Ghost World

For this assignment, I was under the impression that we weren't supposed to be familiar with the screenplay we were reading, so I picked Ghost World. I've never seen it before and based on it's title, I could only assume it was about ghosts. Sounds fun.
...
Nope, it's a teenage comedy-drama film. 
Let's do some director's notes on it.

-The script is obviously going for that dry/dramatic humor that films like Juno are trying to achieve. Most of the shots should be relatively flat staging and the longer we can hold a frame, the better.

-We really need the audience to get into the heads of these two girls, so the three girls speaking at the graduation need to be especially annoying. They need to sound like they only care about themselves.

-I'm also thinking this should be a cooler climate. Somewhere up north. I don't want them to be freezing, but I want the sense that it's dull/grey outside.

-One big note for our two leading ladies is they need to be angst-y without sounding annoying. These are our protagonists. We don't want the audience disregarding them before the film gets started. For example, ENID needs to be a nerdy girl who doesn't really fit in with the crowd. She shouldn't be mad, just tired of always getting the short stick.

(more notes to come...)

No comments:

Post a Comment